“The 7 Keys to Communicating in the Brazil Automotive Industry” GlobalAutoIndustry.com interview with Dr. Orlando R. Kelm
GlobalAutoIndustry.com’s latest Audio Interview “The 7 Keys to Communicating in the Brazil Automotive Industry” https://globalautoindustry.com/the-7-keys-to-communicating-in-the-brazil-automotive-industry/ features Dr. Orlando Kelm. Dr. Kelm is an Associate Professor of Hispanic Linguistics at the University of Texas at Austin where he teaches courses in Portuguese and Spanish, focusing mainly on business language and the cultural aspects of international business communication. He serves as the Director of the Portuguese Language Flagship Program, sponsored by the National Security Education Program of the Department of Defense.
In the 12-minute Audio Interview, Dr. Kelm discusses these questions:
- The books you have co-authored on Brazil, Mexico and Japan are all entitled “The Seven Keys to Communicating in…” with the subject country filled in for Brazil, Mexico or Japan. These seem like pretty different cultures. What are the seven keys in common that ties them together?
- Is understanding Brazilian culture and business communication really that important to the automotive industry?
- As a result of the pandemic, we are all traveling less and less. If North Americans are no longer as likely to travel to Brazil and vice versa, will the need to accommodate cross-cultural differences lessen as well?
- If these seven keys to improving North American-Brazilian communication are as important as you suggest, what can leaders do to improve the situation? What would you suggest?
About Dr. Orlando R. Kelm:
Associate Professor of Hispanic Linguistics, and Director of the Portuguese Language Flagship Program, University of Texas at Austin
Dr. Orlando R. Kelm is an Associate Professor of Hispanic Linguistics at the University of Texas at Austin where he teaches courses in Portuguese and Spanish, focusing mainly on business language and the cultural aspects of international business communication. He serves as the Director of the Portuguese Language Flagship Program, sponsored by the National Security Education Program (NSEP) of the Department of Defense.
Professor’s Kelm's research and publications center on the cultural aspects of international business and the pedagogical applications of innovative technologies in language learning, focusing mainly on Latin America and Brazil. His most recent book publications include (2020, coauthors David A. Victor and Olivia Hernández-Pozas), “The Seven Keys to Communicating in Mexico: An Intercultural Approach,” (2017, coauthors: Haru Yamada and David A. Victor), “The Seven Keys to Communicating in Japan: An Intercultural Approach,” and (2016, coauthor: David A. Victor), “The Seven Keys to Communicating in Brazil: An Intercultural Approach ” (All three published through Georgetown University Press. His most recent online materials development projects are entitled “Olha lá,” “Língua da Gente,” “Conversa Brasileira” and “Tá Falado.”
Click here to listen to the Audio Interview:
GlobalAutoIndustry.com is the leading global business intelligence source for the automotive industry, connecting the worldwide automotive OEM and supplier industry with the resources to effectively do business globally. Through the web site, www.GlobalAutoIndustry.com, automotive executives can find insight, solutions and strategies focused on doing business in the world's top automotive markets. The Company offers weekly Audio Interviews and eJournal newsletters addressing important international business and operational challenges for industry professionals. The Audio Interviews are available to over 1,000,000 automotive industry professionals worldwide, including syndicated through WardsAuto, AftermarketNews, ETAuto (The Economic Times of India), TU Automotive, MEXICONOW, BORDERNOW, and HORSEPOWER.
- And provides his Final Thoughts.